Saturday, June 21, 2008

Chapter 8 - Politeness

In chapter 8 there is a section about politeness theory. Politeness theory "focuses on how and why we communicate in polite ways with others".
I believe people are polite with other people as a way to show respect the other person. If someone was rude and angry towards you, would you feel they respect and/or like you? I think not.
I also believe that politeness gets you further, so in a company or personal affairs, if you are looking to obtain something, then being rude isn't going to help you get it.
Being polite has more advantages than disadvantages, so most people should strive to be polite in their day to day affairs.

2 comments:

kcee said...

I agree that being polite gets you further in life. I always try to be polite to everyone because I believe in the end it pays off for you. If you are polite to people at your job it can make for a comfortable work expereince. I really don't find it necessary to be rude for the hell of it and I know there are some people out there like that. I believe you can achieve so much more in life and in the work place by showing some common curosity and being polite.

Danishgris said...

I have always believed that if you want respect then you need to be respectful to other people. And, this is also regarding politeness. If you want people to treat you with politeness then you need to treat people with politeness as well. So, when you stated that politeness gets you further, you have a really good point. And, this is true in both business and personal matters. In business classes, the teachers always teach you to create network with other people, and the only way you can do this is to start with politeness.